The floor plan is designed such that there is no wastage of space by the rooms by unnecessary corridors. Doors are also placed in the most optimum location to maximize the use of room space. This enables the house to offer a lot of usable space within a small plinth area. Use of local materials for construction also helps to keep the overall costs very low. These materials are available in prefab house
every hardware shop in Kenya at a low cost. There is a very minimal usage of imported materials. The foundation is made using locally produced quarry stone. The walls are made using locally produced masonry stones. The roof is made using Mabati. The doors and door frames are made using locally produced materials. The paints specified are locally produced. Only the basic necessities such as aluminum window frames and glass are imported from China. 99%of the materials are local. USE OF LOCALLY AVAILABE SKILL AND LABOUR Use of locally available skill and labor helps in reducing the labor costs. The building construction technology used is the day-to-day method that fundis all over Kenya use to construct stone houses. The difference is in the design in that in the Haiti House Plan design, the same materials are arranged differently e.g use of masonry stone ground floor slab instead of use of concrete slab, use of internal stone walling partition to support roof as opposed to using expensive wooden trusses, use of unplastered internal walls as opposed to plastered and painted internal walls e.t.c. The major parts of a building that are responsible to high construction costs are Foundation, Roofing and internal Finishes container house
. The Haiti House plan has managed to address all these factors to come up with a very low cost house design. The average house is broken down as follows: Foundation-20% of total construction cost Roofing: 20% of total construction cost. Internal finishes: 20% of total construction cost. Walling,Doors,windows,fixtures,septic tank,wiring,plumbing:40% of total construction cost. Therefore, if the foundation, roofing and internal finishes representing 60% of construction cost ,are designed well, then massive construction cost savings can be achieved.